Go Back   the Dragongate > Retirement home > Everquest II > Tradeskills
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Unaquainted with Sanity

Default Guild, Status, Faction, and Patrons

Now that the Twilight Company is alive and well on EQ2, I've been looking into the guild info, and here's what I've come across so far.

1) All sources I find agree that a guild with less than 12 patrons is penalized in their experience gain. Though this isn't the exact formula (at least I don't think it is) experience works something along the lines of Guild status points/patrons. So if a guild has 20 contributing patrons, the total GSP would be added up and divided by 20. However, the minimum number is 12, so if a guild only has 4 patrons, it is still GSP/12. Now having 12 patrons makes no difference if only 6 are contributing, but if you are interested in doing guild writs a lot, let an officer know so you can be put as a patron. I believe at the moment we have 11, but only 5-6 have done writs so far.

2) Getting removed as a patron zeros out the GSP that you have earned. Reported bugs related to this are: personal status also being zero'd out; change of rank removing patron status. These are not supposed to happen! I recommend making note of GSP and PSP before changing rank/status, and reporting the bug if these events occur.

3) Doing writs will alter your faction with specific merchants. I'm sure we've all seen the merchant at the base of the Tower of Three with the flying carpet, or the one in the Temple of Life UFO with the Spirit Steeds. If you have no faction with that merchant, all they will sell you is a torch. But doing the writs offered for that faction (usually by someone within or very close to the same building) will raise your faction for that group. As your faction gets higher, you get access to more goodies. Doing writs for one group will also LOWER your faction for all other groups. Each city has 5 factions. The gain is enough higher than the loss that, if you work on all 5 factions, all 5 will go up - but very slowly. Again, breaking it down to an estimated formula (because I'm a formula kinda gal) a writ completed for a group does +5 to your faction for that group and -1 for each other group. So if you do 5 writs, one from each group, you will gain +1 to all groups. If, however, you do 5 writs for one group, you gain +25 for that group and -5 for all others.

4) Faction is personal, not guild-wide. Farfarello can do writs for the mage tower all the live-long day, and he'll get access to the mages' nifty stuff, but no one else in the guild will get to purchase from the flying carpet guy based on Farfie's faction. I don't know how it goes with the faction merchant goodies, but I do know the stuff off the City Merchants is NO-TRADE. I'm not positive the faction merchant stuff is no-trade, so if someone finds out differently, please let us all know! I'd also like to find out if the equipment that can be purchased off the city merchants can be used by anyone with trustee access to the house it's placed in. Ie, if Karia buys a woodworking table, though she can't give it to anyone else, could Tseng come into Karia's house and use it?

5) You do not have to be a patron to do writs. Patrons are the only ones who can contribute GSP, but any guild member can do writs to raise their personal status and increase their faction with a merchant. All guild members, whether patrons or not, can purchase from City and faction merchants using PSP.

6) You gain faction in both cities, no matter which city the guild is in. This one's from personal experience. I don't know if this is something I simply missed previously, if it's a bug, or if it's a recent change implemented but not announced. But last night I was doing writs with Karia, and she was getting faction adjustments in Freeport, even though the guild is in Qeynos. This is excellent news for our Freeport Toons, as they will be able to gain the faction and benefits from their local merchants, rather than getting xp to level the guild and not being able to use any of it.

7) Writs for 15-19 are actually harder than writs for lvl 20-24. One poster in the EQ2 forums explained it as 10-14 writs are for single player teens, 15-19 writs are for grouped teens, 20-24 writs are for single player 20's, and so on up the ranks. This translates roughly to: work on writs at levels 10-14, 20-24, 30-34. Other levels work on your character. Though from what I'm reading the 30+ chars all get the same writs. There's a few complaints from lvl 40 or so people on the boards about grinding out writs for their guild that give them no personal xp whatsoever, just guild xp and faction.

That's the info I have, based off what I've read and done, and what concerns I've heard voiced. Ideally we should have 12 contributing patrons to maximize experience. If faction merchant items are NOT no-trade, I'd recommend having someone in each city concentrate on a specific faction's writs; if they are, then either work all the factions or concentrate on the ones most likely to offer the items you want. Items available for both city and faction merchants can be found here as well as a list of what quests are given for what level writs. Based on a quick scan, I'd say the faction merchants offer the same type of stuff, so feel free to either work on one faction to excusion or work all 5 together.

See you on the flip side!

(Edit: removed erronious statement about merchant items for sale, and added merchant reward link)

Last edited by Aylrin : 02-26-2005 at 06:12 PM. Reason: correcting statements based on research/updates
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Unaquainted with Sanity

Addendum:
Word on the EQ2 boards is that you need approximately 140-150 writs done for a single faction to unlock the first tier of items from that faction merchant (you also get a title). If my previous formula is anywhere near accurate, 150 writs x 5 faction points = 750 faction points. Now, if working on all 5 factions, you're only getting a net gain of 1 faction point per writ for that faction. (+5 hit for their writ, -1 for each of the other 4). Which would mean to unlock tier 1 for all 5 factions, you would need to do 750 writs for each faction, or 3750 writs.

Something to consider with this: No matter how bad your faction gets with a group, they will always give you writs and never be KoS, which indicates that at some point your faction bottoms out. If you want all the furniture type items sold by all the faction merchants, would it actually be faster to max out one faction, get all the goodies, then work exclusively on another, losing faction with the first group and gaining it with the second? Of course, the people on the faction you're losing will probably stop doing nifty things like saluting you, and I'm betting you can probably lose your title. Still, might be a thought.

Also, someone on the eq board stated that the faction hit differences were more like +10 to -1, as opposed to my +5 to -1. Again, no idea how accurate this is, since there are no actual numbers and no way to track in-game how much your faction increases per writ. I think the only way to get an accurate formula is to have one person do writs exclusively for one group, keeping an accurate count of how many it takes to get tier 1, and have another person doing all 5 factions, again keeping an accurate count of how many writs it takes to get tier 1 for the same faction as the first person. But then, I may be the only one obsessed with getting an accurate formula

Last edited by Aylrin : 02-14-2005 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added comments, thoughts
Old 02-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Don't suppose you have a record anywhere of what each faction sells? I'm assuming otherwise we work with the obvious scout for rangers, priest for temple, mage concordium and fighter for guard as a get-what's-most-beneficial-to-me-fastest types thing?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Unaquainted with Sanity

Link is in the final paragraph of the first post to a site with a really good breakdown of the guild writs and their rewards. Select the Qeynos or Freeport Guild Rewards, underneith the per-lvl breakdown of what the guilds get is the breakdown of what each faction gets you. Mostly it's titles, armor-type stuff (no stats listed, I'll try to find those), and unique furniture.

I already know Karia's going to have to work multiple factions. I want that chess set and any of the glass-crystal stuff! ::is obsessed with pretties for the house::
Old 02-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I did try and find it honest, but me and any ability to navigate that site don't work when I've only slept... well, not at all.