PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Scrying the Ice - Page 2 - the Dragongate

Go Back   the Dragongate > the World of Fallpyre - Lost Souls Tavern > IC > the Ruins > the Ruins Market
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM
She Who Must Be Appeased.

"I don't believe that the gods will smite us if we don't try to pry open things that resist overmuch." Carad shrugged. "Will you be satisfied by that? If something resists us or seems ... foreboding in the extreme, will you back off or will we push forward?"

Pauvert laughed. "I'm of the opinion that we have a right to know this, and if the king is our enemy and the gods protect the kings then the gods, too, are our enemy and we need new gods."

"I think some lines are not meant to be crossed, but i like to think i'll know the line when i see it." Giacomo smiled.

Wilson looked at the walking stick he'd brought with him. It had a ruby the size of a hen's egg on the end. Too small for a staff, too large for a wand, it nevertheless gave anyone with a magic sense a little twinge of awareness of its potential. "I say if we be smote for challenging the Ice that we fight back with all our might and take whatever punishment they can enforce on us - for I refuse to submit to gods that think it is fair we should have to tolerate that without struggling against the ice."

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Unaquainted with Sanity

"I definitely appreciate the will to fight, but for our purposes today, Carad's thoughts are closest to mine. This whole thing is to sneak in, find what we can, and slip away, hopefully unnoticed. I'm not looking to force my way through barriers, not today at least. That said, while I won't force a barrier, I will try to find cracks where we might slip through it without disturbing it.

"Our priority is to remain undiscovered. Failing that, to escape swiftly and safely. I am the first to move forward, the last to withdraw. The decision to proceed at any given point is mine, and if I decide it is too dangerous, I expect no argument. Are we agreed?" Tracy is rarely this solemn, or this forward. But she is taking the lead position here seriously, and her expression makes it clear that any who do not accept her having the final say would be better off withdrawing now.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM

"Just affirming that we're not afraid to piss off the gods if they deem us punishable for trying this." Giacomo said cheerfully.

"No fear of us bucking in the traces, miss Tracy." Will said smoothly. He had a very deep and rolling sort of voice. "We know we are here to pull for you, not take the bit in our teeth."

"Hmph. I like to bite the bit, myself, but ... I will be good." Pauvert said, long suffering.

"Let us start. I brought the coldfire, I hope you have the ashes to power it." Carad moved to enter the cellar. Pauvert cut in front of him and tapped the door with his knife before opening it.

"Precautions, gentlemen. Don't just try to open the doors to my willworking spaces - they can be dangerous." Pauvert said unapologetically.

(Letting you have a say and then describing the room.)

Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Unaquainted with Sanity

"I've brought some, yes. I also brought a candle stub, just in case it could rebuild the candle?" Probably a long shot, since the wax of a candle became smoke and vapor, but she'd thought it at least worth asking.

Once they're in the cellar, she gets out the jar of ashes and the candle stub for Carad, as well as a shallow metal bowl and stand for a brazier. Then she takes a moment to look around around the workspace, see how Pauvert has it and how she can best utilize it.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM

It was bigger than expected, and darker in spite of several lamps and candles. Each element had its own small circle at the points of a pentacle, with other circles between each junction point as well. Metal, Wood, Void, Darkness, Light, all represented as well as the traditional elements of western magic.

Pauvert would help Tracy set up how she wanted her scrying area in the center of the circles. (your turn!)

Coldfire is blue and licks over the ashes hungrily - if you put a pinch of ashes on a candle stub it will unburn it - but it takes all color from the candle.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Unaquainted with Sanity

The apparatus itself is fairly simple, though Tracy has a tendency to fuss over the details - the cardinal directions on the map must align with those actual directions, the tripod has to be set so she'll have a clear view of the diamond, the candle directly in line between her and where the diamond will hang... Part of it is nerves, and part of it is determination that this spell will go right and everyone will come away safely.

Only after everything else is set - ash and Cold Fire on the candle, wards ready to activate, everything ready to go - does Tracy ask for the diamonds. She has a gold chain to hang it from, with an empty pendant waiting for the stone and simple pliers to close the setting around it. Getting the diamond set without touching it is delicate work, but once it's done and hanging, everything is ready.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM

The men drifted into their places. Giacomo sang softly - and surprisingly pleasantly - in a language Tracy would recognize as something similar to Hebrew. Pauvert used his knife and drew the circle closed - the air-pressure changed in the underground chamber and it was suddenly definitely a closed space. The symbols on the circle and the walls glowed faintly and flickered with the candles and lamps.

once the diamonds were in place ... the temperature dropped noticeably.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Unaquainted with Sanity

With everyone in place and the circle closed, Tracy activates the inner ward - the one acting as a screen between them and the diamonds, marked out in pieces of quartz and hematite. Then, eyes half-closed, she stretches her mind to the others, following the lines of the pentacle and 'filling in' the mental image of their spell as she connects with each person, almost like coloring a picture in a book. If her mental image matches a sailing vessel, well, Pauvert was the one who first gave her that image, and it works.

When she has it all, when she can almost feel herself weaving around the others and gently tugging them to follow, she opens her eyes to look at - look into - the diamond pendulum hanging beyond the cold fire. With a half-absent murmur of, "Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home," she drifts into the diamond and begins to gently explore.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 AM

Almost right away, Tracy feels something is horribly wrong and as if someone's eyes have snapped right to her. Cold pale eyes overpower everything and stare into her as if she is being washed with acid. There's a faint snarl and the eyes glance breifly at something she cannot quite see.

Then a searing light bursts into those eyes and they close and are gone with a shrieking roar of rage. She can hear Giacomo singing and feel Wilson bolstering her up so she doesn't fall even though he's not touching her. Carad is warming her - she didn't even know she was cold at first, it burned her to the roots of her soul, that terrible gaze, but now her teeth are chattering. Pauvert is doing something with his dagger - almost like he's darning holes in their wards back shut, swiftly and intently. A cold wind is howling around the chamber.

A huge wolf, transluscent and flickering in and out appears in the circle with them.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Unaquainted with Sanity

For the first few moments when she's back to herself, she has to focus just on getting her bearings. Teeth clench, her stance shifts to better support herself, and she shakily nod and broken "Thank you," to the others - including the wolf. Vision shift then - check the damage on the wards, and see if she can help Pauvert repair them. If and how they'll try again can wait until the situation is controlled.