Go Back   the Dragongate > the Mundane World > the Lounge > Chattin' > Kitchen Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
king of unintentional innuendo

Default Magical Pudding Cake. Amaze your friends!

Okay. So I found this in better homes and gardens cookbook. It's pretty great, and you should try it. There is very little fat or butter in it, so it tends to be more dense cake than brownie.

This recipe was made popular in the 1940's and is so easy to make from scratch even a Jammy can do it. It was made popular by the lack of butter, due to war time constraints (WWII) and the magical way water on top becomes pudding on bottom.

The Stuff You need...

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I didn't use any)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8x2 inch baking pan (brownie/cobber pan). Set aside. In a medium bowl stir together FLOUR, GRANULATED SUGAR, 2 TABLESPOONS COCOA POWDER, BAKING POWDER and SALT. Stir in MILK, OIL and VANILLA. Stir in WALNUTS (or M&Ms, or peanuts, or whatever)

Pour batter into prepared baking pan. In a smaller bowl (but not a cereal bowl, you will make a mess) stir together BROWN SUGAR and the 1./4 cup COCOA POWDER. Stir in BOWLING WATER. SLOWLY pour this over your batter. I found that pouring it onto a spoon prevented it from diving a huge hole right down through the middle of the batter.

Bake for 40 minutes. Check it at 35 fo sho. Let cool for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve warm, with Vanilla Ice cream if you want. What you will have is a dense chocolate cake settled over a thick chocolate pudding, as if BY MAGIC!

This recipe is an old school war time treat, thus the no eggs or butter. It's very forgiving, get the baking powder, flour and water correct and everything else is kind of variable. But it is low fat, if not high calorie. Enjoy, I know my family did.. Seriously, I only got one piece.